The Road to Robbers Roost


If you follow me on instagram, you probably have a small hunch that Robbers Roost is one of my favorite hikes in all of Sedona (spoiler: I post a lot of pictures from there). Not only does it offer amazing views of the Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness, it also lacks the hustle and bustle of a lot of the more popular hikes. Every time I visit, I'm left with a sense of calm over me. It really is a great spot to reflect and just be at peace with nature. I even bring my kids and my dog there from time-to-time because it's an easy, 2.5mi out-and-back hike that my toddler can do without much help and that won't break my back if I throw my 25lb baby in the carrier.

So if it's so beautiful, how come it's so quiet? 
Why aren't more people doing this hike?
Are you giving up one of your secret spots?

You might be pondering these questions or you might already know that the road to Robbers Roost/Shaman's Cave is a primitive forest road that weaves through the Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness on BLM land in West Sedona. It takes about an hour on bumpy backroads just to get to the trail head. A high-clearance 4wd is absolutely recommended for the trek... but that's not to say that you can't get there without 4wd if you know what you're doing. 

The question I get most about this hike is: but how bad is the road to Robbers Roost? And if I'm answering honestly, it's not that bad... well, for most of the way anyway.

If you absolutely want to do this hike and you don't have a high-clearance 4wd vehicle, make sure you do two things:
1. Don't go when it's wet or after a rainfall/snow melt. Trust me on this.
2. Park at the beginning of road 9530 and hike the extra mile (one way) to the trail head. There is a small parking area where roads 525C and 9530 meet however, there is only room for 2-3 vehicles and the trek to the trailhead is unshaded and uneven. Personally, there are only a few times where I've seen people do this and they looked absolutely miserable every. single. time. 

If you're still questioning whether this hike may be worth it for you or whether you can weather the road to get there, check out this video I made that takes you from 89A to the Robbers Roost trailhead, complete with play-by-play directions then maybe decide for yourself if you're up for this particular adventure.



Direct link to video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/gjHlv_vXqGc  


If you have been to Robbers Roost, what do you think of the drive? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Keep bumpin' & grindin' (on those roads and trails of course),





Comments